Add New WordPress Users
Have you hired a new employee or outside freelance help? No matter the reason, if you need to add new users to the backend of your WordPress account, this article outlines the step-by-step process to follow.
How to Add New Users to WordPress
1. Go to your WordPress admin page and log in to your website
Your admin page is often found at www.YOUR-WEBSITE.com/wp-login
2. On the left sidebar within your WordPress dashboard, click on Users
3. A dropdown with more options appears; click Add New
4. On the Add New User screen. At minimum, enter a username and email address for your new user.
First name, last name, and website are all optional.
As general rule NEVER have a username as “Admin” or similar terms.
5. Enter a SECURE password for your new user.
You can use the random generated password that WordPress created or submit your own.
Depending on your corporate policies a user will often change their password upon first login.
6. Keep the Send User Notification checked if you would like the new user to receive an email with their login information.
7. Choose a Role for your new user.
Administrator is the default and it gives the user access to all the features of the website. If you need to limit the permissions of your new user, read about the other role options available below.
8. Click the Add New User button and you’re done!
What Are User Roles?
User roles allow you to assign different levels of permissions to users on your website. If you don’t want a user to have all the permissions of the administrator role, you can choose from Editor, Author, Contributor, or Subscriber.
These user roles are defined as the following:
- Administrator: somebody who has access to all the administration features within a single site.
- Editor: somebody who can publish and manage posts including the posts of other users.
- Author: somebody who can publish and manage their own posts.
- Contributor: somebody who can write and manage their own posts but cannot publish them.
- Subscriber: somebody who can only manage their profile.